The ceiling fan makes a whirring sound while it struggles to circulate the air in the room. All the window shutters are firmly closed and the curtains are tightly drawn to keep away the fierce afternoon sun. The DJ on a popular FM Radio channel rattles on with
determined single-minded cheerfulness. Sometimes, just sometimes she remembers to play a song or two.
It is mid afternoon on a hot & sticky April day. Lunch is over and so are the household chores till evening. Siesta time in Kolkata.
I lie on my bed trying to read a book. But it is so hot I can feel the sweat trickling down my back. I cannot concentrate on the words, which all seem to be jumping around randomly. After a futile attempt, I give up trying to read the book and instead gaze at the ceiling. The swift circular motion of the ceiling fan fascinates me. Also in a heat induced stupor I feel that if I stare at the fan earnestly enough, for long enough, it might, just might move a little faster. I am too lazy to get up and go to the next room which has a blessed air conditioner. Instead I start thinking of the various drinks/foods which at that moment could cool me down. I daydream of sundae ice creams in tall frosted glasses, a super chilled watermelon drink, pati lebu ur sorbot (a traditional Bengali drink made with local limes)....
Somewhere between kesar kulfi and mango lassi I fall asleep. But daydreams are difficult to shed off, so when I wake-up I rummage through my mother's refrigerator and pantry looking for ingredients for a cool and refreshing drink. What I find are-- few remaining pieces from a bar of coffee flavoured chocolate, vanilla ice cream, milk, coffee....more or less all the ingredients for a cold coffee.
It takes me less than 5 minutes to whip up a frothy cold coffee. To make the drink cooler, smoother, tastier, richer, more calorie heavy, I add a generous scoop of vanilla ice cream. It is bliss. The drink, that is. Needless to say it takes me much less than 5 minutes to drink it up.
Do you want to drink some too? Oh well I can share this easy-peasy recipe and I am sure you can also make this in no time.
Ingredients (Makes two glasses of cold coffee):
- 1 and a half glass of chilled milk
- 4 scoops of vanilla ice cream
- 2 tea spoons of instant coffee, more if you like your coffee stronger
- 2 table spoons of sugar, more if you like your coffee sweeter
- Lots of ice cubes
- Chocolate shavings for garnish
How To (Takes About 5 mins):
- Take twon ice glasses and keep the empty glasses in the fridge
- Mix the coffee and the sugar with a little water
- In a juicer add the milk, two scoops of vanilla ice cream, the coffee and sugar mix and the ice cubes
- Blitz away till everything is well mixed. The mixture will be frothy
- Take out the glasses from the fringe, add a scoop of ice cream to each glass
- Pour the drink equally in both the glasses
- Garnish with some chocolate shavings
- Serve immediately
Now sit back and enjoy the drink!